Disclaimer

This blog represents my views and opinions. They are not necessarily those of any other member of my Chambers, none of whom contribute to the blog, or assist me with it.

Editorial

Now moved to http://pupillageandhowtogetit.wordpress.com/ for reasons of convenience and ease. Come and see.

Wednesday 24 October 2007

Fame at Last

Well, sort of. I am apparently having a debate with Dr Tallis. I didn't know that when I wrote the piece, but there you go - and Chambers have put it on our website. Feel free to comment. Now I really am going to Venice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a philosopher, I found some of Raymond Tallis's discussion spot-on. It's a conceptual confusion to identify oneself with one's brain (it would be like saying my throat drinks or my retinas see). *People* see things and to identify people with their brains is a mistake. People's minds aren't substances (mental or physical); losing one's mind isn't like losing one's wallet. Having a mind consists in possessing a bunch of capacities, capacities only attributable to whole living beings. (This isn't to deny that they couldn't have those capacities without having a brain.) M. R. Bennett (a neuroscientist) and P. M. S. Hacker have written a great book on this stuff, *Philosophical Foundations of Neuroscience*; Ch. 3 deals with some of the fallacies neuroscientists make when discussing the mind, and it sounds like these neuro-lawyers are making the same ones.

Apologies for waxing philosophical, but I think this is a clear case where shoddy philosophical thinking can have practical consequences. If these neuro-lawyers start convincing judges that their position is a good one, all sorts of bad consequences could follow.

Mr Pineapples said...

After reading that - My Brain Hurts